tlug: X and distribution choice

31 march: Chris Sekiya <chris@example.com> wrote:

cs> Don't be afraid -- X configuration is a very useful
cs> skill to have.  I'm a big fan of /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config --
cs> it generates a heavily-commented XF86Config that often
cs> needs no editing whatsoever.

I should have probably mentioned that what I was *really* nervous
about was getting the danged neomagic chip in my new laptop to work.
Poked around through the packages on my debian CD at work today and it
appears that there's a driver in them thar distribution. So now I'm
only *mildly* afraid... The machine doesn't get here until Saturday,
so I still have a few days to act indecisive.

cs> (should I put a plug for GNOME here?  You don't really
cs> want to use KDE...

Plug well taken. I actually have it in mind to try both out. Thought
I'd start with KDE because it's included on both of the CDs that I
have.

Much thanks to all for the advice.

john seebach
shizuoka, japan
jseebach@example.com

*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691