Re: tlug: 2.0 or 2.2?

    >> There seem to be a number of differences between linux kernel
    >> 2.0 and 2.2.  For a new machine (intended as a firewall) is it
    >> best to use 2.2?

You should probably do with 2.2 and get started with the ipchains
stuff right off.  The old ipfwadm interface is not going to be around
much longer.  2.2 seems faster too.

    >> Also, do the current distributions (Redhat, Turbo Linux) on
    >> sale in Akihabara use kernel 2.2, or is it still 2.0?

Some of them may have 2.1.x kernels for the ballsy, but 2.2 hasn't had
time to be burned and shipped, I would guess.  I bet there's a lot of
stock the stores want to get rid of....  You may be able to download
it (but Debian only has 2.2.1 in source form).

There are a _lot_ of changes with 2.2.  Read the stuff in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/.  Like all of it, or at least any of it
you don't _know_ doesn't apply to you.  Really.  Or wait for 2.2-based
distributions to hit the streets.  Debian has the 2.2.1 Documentation
files neatly packaged for download, so you can preview it.

I didn't do all that reading, I just went ahead and installed; but I
don't have 2.2 running on a server used by people who owe me fewer
favors than I owe them.  :-)

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691