Re: tlug: Why there won't be no SATS [was: KDE & Japanese]

Matt> Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
> [...]
Matt> ... personally I think a simple alternative to Sendmail would be
Matt> even more appreciated ... but mail daemons aren't 'kewl' enough
Matt> for today's young programmers, I guess.

Matt> ... both very common requirements, I would think. First I tried
Matt> Applix Mail, which satisfied requirement (2), but failed
Matt> miserably on (1). Ditto for Netscape. Then there was VM, which
Matt> was the one I really wanted to use all along ... but I couldn't
Matt> configure XEmacs's movemail to keep the mail on the
Matt> server[2]. Thus:

Matt> fetchmail + sendmail + procmail

You  can also  use Franklin  Lee's  epop3mail.el  package. I am  using
epop3mail.el with GNU Emacs 20.3.1 and RMAIL on a Windows  NT computer
in the office.

You can find a link to download epop3mail.el on the NT-Emacs homepage:

    http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html

epop3mail.el  doesn't  use  movemail to  get  the mail   from the pop3
server,  but rather talks to the  server directly from Emacs-Lisp.  It
has an option to leave  the mail on the  server.   It has also a  nice
"biff"  option to periodically  check for  new mail on  the server and
make Emacs beep at you when there is new mail.

epop3mail.el also works with Gnus and I think with VM too. And I guess
there is no reason why it shouldn't work with Linux.

But  in my  opinion there is  no  good reason  for  using  it on Linux
either,   because  "fetchmail+sendmail+procmail"    is  much    better
anyway. epop3mail is  very easy  to  setup  and use,  but I  miss  the
possibility to filter mail and direct it into different folders.

I   use    epop3mail   on  NT     only     because   I  don't     have
"fetchmail+sendmail+procmail" on NT.

Mike

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691