Re: tlug: Q on first inst

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Fredric Fredricson wrote:

> In general: dance with the one you came with. Use Linux fdisk
> for the Linux partitions and DOS FDISK for DOS (this is not
> always true but for a start it is the least painful approach).

Always use Linux fdisk.  The only thing DOS fdisk can do with a Linux
partition is delete it.  It can't recognize non-MS partitions at all.
Linux fdisk, on the other hand, can recognize a wide variety of
partitions, including MS.

In Legend's case, he may well want to do a non-destructive repartition.
The choices there are use FIPS under DOS, or a commercial product such
as Partition Magic.  I've never used FIPS and can't comment on it except
to say that it's free and comes with most (all?)  Linux distributions.
I have used Partition Magic and it is very, very good.  The current
version can even handle ext2 partitions.

If non-destructive partitioning is OK, then just fdisk is fine.

> And use at least two partitions for Linux, one root (/) and
> one home (/home). Will save you a lot of trouble when you want
> to upgrade or just play around.

I would recommend at least one more, for /usr/local, but with as
much space as he has available (8GB) he can also make /var and /usr
into separate partitions if he wants to.  Of course, these will need to
be done inside of an extended partition.

Under the scheme above, / doesn't need to be very large (mine is 256
meg, and it's only 13% used), and it eases upgrades.

Jonathan

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691