Re: tlug: Q on first inst

Legend wrote:

>    Hi, I'm a complete newby who's been using MS products for past 2 years.
> Now that I have my own desktop, I am about to do what I've always wanted
> to do; installing linux.
>    I know this sounds pretty out of context, since everybody is talking
> about something quite technical...  Well, I've got a new PC with 8GB. I'm
> thinking of partitioning into, say, three. One for linux, one for Win98,
> and the other for something else. Would it be wise to use a commercial
> partitioning software or it's just a waste of money? Maybe I should just
> use FDISK in DOS, then use linux's fdisk to further partition.
>    BTW, I'm gonna install debian linux. If anybody knows any specific tips
> for this distribution or any other sorts of advice, that's deeply
> appreciated.
>    Thank you.

Since this is an easy question maybe even I can give an answer that is
half right ;-).

In general: dance with the one you came with. Use Linux fdisk
for the Linux partitions and DOS FDISK for DOS (this is not
always true but for a start it is the least painful approach).

And use at least two partitions for Linux, one root (/) and
one home (/home). Will save you a lot of trouble when you want
to upgrade or just play around.
I have an 8G disk and my root partition is 1.5G with about 65%
used (Suse 5.3, almost everything+more installed) and my home
partition is 4G.
The rest is swap and my game platform (Win95).

Happy hacking!
/Fredric
Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691