tlug: Old dog, new tricks (coda: cool! and kernel 2.2.1: ki-wo-tsuke!)

Coda 5.0.1 was easy to build, but it took a _lot_ of space, like 110MB
including the sources and everything.  Installed it takes up 25MB or
so, plus the cache....  There are RPMs and .debs, for the work-averse.

It was very cool to be able to browse the docs from CMU and still be
able to review the files I'd looked at _after_ the disconnect.  Eat
hot asphalt, NFS!

Administering a server looks to be harder.  At least partition
management seems to reduce to a few rules of thumb, unlike partition
management for the whole Linux system.

OK, so I requested the ATI Mach64 framebuffer in make oldconfig.
Unfortunately, it didn't recognize my card.  That would be OK, except
for some reason it proceeded to redirect all virtual console output to
/dev/null.  Fortunately this did not affect the XF86_Mach64 X server
at all, so I could log in and see everything in xconsole conveniently,
without a reboot to a different kernel.

I substituted vesafb for atyfb this time around, and still can't get a
frame buffer console.  The docs are not exactly copious....  At least
I get the old character console back, in case I don't want to use X.

Anyway, although I may have done something really stupid, that doesn't
mean somebody else won't find the same way to hose themselves.

There's a warning on that one, y'all.

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691