tlug: Ghostscript/VFlib not finding font

Hi, Folks--

ARRGH! ARGV! ARGC!

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

Well, here I am in Ghostscript hell again. Yesterday I installed VFlib
2.22pl10 and built ghostscript 5.10-jp from SRPM. Compilation seems to
have gone okay, but now I'm having a problem: if I try to view a
document in GV, I get the following:

VFlib: Cannot open the font 'min'.
Unexpected interpreter error -12.
Error object:
Unrecoverable error: ioerror in kfVFlib
Operand stack:
	min 0 10273 0 10273 c21 Private

... and so on. This is for English PS files; if I try to view a
Japanese document, I get the same error, only the stack trace is much
longer.

Up till yesterday I had gs-3.33 from the RedHat 5.1 CD, which worked
(only for English, of course); before I replaced my hard disk in
December, I was using gs-5.03jp with the same version (but see below)
of VFlib, which worked for both English and Japanese. Here are some
more details:

Things that are the same:
------------------------

* all ghostscript paths -- /usr/bin/gs,
/usr/share/ghostscript/$VERSION & /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts,
/usr/local/lib/wada-gsf for Wadalab fonts

* /etc/vfontcap and ghostscript's Fontmap files (well, I haven't
compared them line-for-line, but I've looked at them and there don't
appear to be any significant changes)

* environment variables directly affecting ghostscript -- $GS_LIB =
/usr/local/lib/wada-gsf

* VFlib version 2.22pl10

Things that have changed:
------------------------

* I installed a different VFlib *package* -- before I was using the
JRPM version, but this time I used the TurboLinux RPM; thus all the
VFlib stuff was under /usr/local before, now it's under /usr.

* ghostscript version: 5.03 -> 5.10  (both packages from JRPM, but
	for 5.03 I used the binary distribution)

* I made some changes to the ghostscript makefile:

SHARE_LIBPNG=0  --> SHARE_LIBPNG=1

SHARE_ZLIB=0  --> SHARE_ZLIB=1

GCFLAGS=-Dconst -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes  -->
GCFLAGS=-Wall -Wcast-qual -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes \
	-Wwrite-strings
	(if I understood the documents right, the latter is normal,
	the former is a workaround for GCC versions up to 2.7.2 -- I
	compiled w/ 2.7.2.3)

FEATURE_DEVS=level2.dev pdf.dev pipe.dev kanji.dev kfvflib.dev  -->
FEATURE_DEVS=level2.dev pdf.dev pipe.dev kanji.dev kfvflib.dev \
	ttfont.dev
	(this last -- non-Japanese TrueType font support -- is the
	main reason I wanted to build from source in the first place)

And one other thing that could be significant: when I run the VFlib
test programs (vftest, vfperf, ktest, with no font name, I get:
	Initializing VFlib: OK
	open error; min
... which is no surprise -- except that on my other machine I get the
same error, but it doesn't seem to affect ghostscript at all.

Well, anybody care to take a stab at this? 'Twill be much appreciated.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691