Re: tlug: Canna with Emacs 20.2 on RH 5.0?

    Stephen> VM does this under XEmacs (VM is not supoprted under
    Stephen> Emacs 20 yet AFAIK), with the caveat that (1) you can't
    Stephen> use non-ASCII in _headers_ of outgoing mail yet, and (2)
    Stephen> decoding of MIME headers has some bugs still.

    ash> 	I can live without Japanese headers, but how serious
    ash> are the "decoding MIME headers" bugs? Does this mean just the
    ash> headers, or does include MIME messages as well?

Bugs are in headers only.

The only problem I have with MIME messages is that VM refuses to
display messages with charsets that are unknown.  This includes all
"windows-12xx" and "codepage-yyy" charsets, so if you get a lot of
mail from Windose-afflicted correspondents, this may be too annoying.
I happen to agree with Kyle's stiff-necked orneriness on this issue.

The workaround is to press `D' to get the raw form.  No biggie if it's
only a message a week or so.

    ash> I've been thinking of moving to XEmacs and VM for the longest
    ash> time, but have been waiting for the "imminent" next release
    ash> of XEmacs. From what I gather, 21.0 is fairly stable; any
    ash> comments, recomendations?

I don't know what's holding up the release at the moment.  I know that
problems with the Windows port were a big delay.  Package
documentation is still a problem.

The first time you install from source with packages is likely to be a
hassle.  Not hard, but tedious, because the dependencies aren't well
worked out.  Unfortunately, I don't know if we're going to provide
binary kits this time, and you may have to wait a bit for RPM/.deb
versions.  (I don't know if I have time to do a .deb, I've never done
one this big before.)

As for stability, at least one known crash without a fix remains.  I
generally don't have a problem running for days on end, though.
Crashes have an unfortunate side-effect that VM confuses Mule and any
autosaved VM folders with charset-changing escape sequences (eg
ISO-2022-JP) in them endup with extra ESCs.  Kyle thinks this is an
inherent problem of multilingual apps under XEmacs.  It doesn't bother
me much.

I think the current version of XEmacs (21.0.63) is very close to
release.

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691