Re: tlug: Sony CD-ROM drive controller

On Tue, Jan 26, 1999 at 10:24:38AM +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> I have what i believe is a Sony 338 (rev 1.1) CD-ROM controller card (The
> writing on the card makes it unclear as to the maker - it may be Panasonic
> or Mitsumi or UMC(?)), and a Sony CD-338 CD-ROM drive.

I believe that card supports Sony, Mitsumi, and Panasonic/Creative drives
which each used proprietary 8 bit communications paths to their various
drives.  (Could the drive be a Sony CD-33a?  -338 doesn't sound like one of
their drives.)

> the CD-ROM drive is listed, but i can't find the controller card - which is
> more to do with the fact that I don't quite know what i'm looking for. Is
> it an IDE adapter? A search on the Net came up zero as well.

No (unless I've mistaken your card description), it is not IDE.  There is
support for the Sony CDU31A and CDU33A drives though in the "non-SCSI
/non-IDE/ATAPI" category... although I don't know how you tell the RedHat
installer to insert the correct module.

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo   ICQ: 5981586

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691