tlug: More generic than Linux: X

I don't actually know if this has anything to do with Linux or not,

But since any question about generic Unixism seems tob e fair game, ;-)

How in zee world does X negotiate codesets and fonts?

You get 1(one, ichi) Japanese font. (ja/JP/Ja or whatever) and whether
you use the 932(S-JIS...) codeset or ISO-2022-JP, or EUC(...)  Magic
Xserver takes the stuff it gets and correctly maps it to Japanese which
gets printed.

I'm assuming that X is taking hte LANG from the displaying program when
interpreting everything. (IE if you've got a kterm/dtterm/rxvt.. its
hte Lang that it was started in, and no matter how many hosts you
telnet through, as long as they are all 8bit clean, and you don't hit
your telnet escape character all is well)

Of course at the moment something is going wrong, which is why I need
to know how it works.  CLI the magic works, start your X GUI program,
and it appears that the wrong Japanese is being used to display it
so you get the garbage we all know and love.

Can anyone give me a pointer as to where this is explained?  (Free
preferred, but a good book, is also very good)

Thanks!

-Scott

--
Why are we here? Because we're here! | Scott H. Perlman
  Roll The Bones!!  --RUSH	     |