tlug: Upgrading Debian 1.3 to 2.0

I'd been waiting to upgrade my Debian server from 1.3 to 2.0 because
of the glibc thing; I did my personal workstation by hand a couple
months ago, but it took about 2 hours of close attention.

If you've been thinking the same way, you should take a look at the
current Debian stable (hamm) distribution.  The upgrade is now very
painless:

cd tmp; ncftp ftp://ftp.debian.or.jp/
 cd debian/dist/stable/main/upgrade-i386/
 get upgrade-README apt*
 bye
<read the README>
dpkg -i apt*
apt-get upgrade
apt-get -f upgrade-dist
<answer the questions at your leisure>
apt-get install timezones locales
<fix utmp and wtmp; see README>
<reboot>

The README warns about removing essential packages especially those
named lib*; it seems to be safe to allow `libnet' to be removed (that's
actually a Perl library, not a system shared library).  Anyway, I
didn't end up hosed ;-)

One reason for doing this NOW is that it's not entirely clear to me
whether an upgrade to slink (currently frozen development
distribution) from Debian 1.3 will be direct, or whether you'll have
to go via Debian 2.0.  That wouldn't be a big deal, except that
scripts and transitional READMEs have a habit of getting lost or not
properly updated at a new release.  Even in Debian ;-)

Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: Feb 13 (Sat), 12:30    ace: Temple Univ.