tlug: PCI Network Card

I've just reinstalled Linux (RedHat 5.1), but the network card was not
recognized. ifconfig eth0 says no device. pinging it's IP number fails,
though ping 127.0.0.1 works.

Looking in /var/log/messages it does not mention anything to do with the
network card, good or bad. (SCSI devices are recognized so I'm better than
the old install at least :-). Is everything that whizzes past at boot-time
put into this file or should I look somewhere else?

When installing I chose NE2000 (PCI).
Doing "more /proc/pci" tells me it is a Realtek 8029(rev 0), IRQ 9, I/O at
0xd000.

I tried specifying "linux ether=9,0xd000,eth0" when I boot (from floppy,
not LILO), but it made no difference (ie. not even an error message).

I've been reading the Ethernet HOW-TO, and it keeps suggesting recompiling
the kernel, as maybe the drivers are not compiled into the kernel. Is there
a way to find out if this is the case?

Thanks in advance,

Darren

Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: Feb 13 (Sat), 12:30    ace: Temple Univ.