Re: tlug: gtk-config

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> I'm trying to build an RPM from source, and it requires GTK 1.1.2 or
> higher.  I currently have 1.1.9 and 1.0.5 installed (both from RPM).
> When I try to build the RPM I want, it fails with this error:
>
> checking for gtk-config... /usr/bin/gtk-config
> checking for GTK - version >= 1.1.2...
> *** An old version of GTK+ (1.0.5) was found.
> *** You need a version of GTK+ newer than 1.1.2. The latest version of
> *** GTK+ is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org.
> ***
> *** If you have already installed a sufficiently new version, this error
> *** probably means that the wrong copy of the gtk-config shell script is
> *** being found. The easiest way to fix this is to remove the old
> version
> *** of GTK+, but you can also set the GTK_CONFIG environment to point to
> the
> *** correct copy of gtk-config. (In this case, you will have to
> *** modify your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or edit
> /etc/ld.so.conf
> *** so that the correct libraries are found at run-time))
>
> Presumably, the trouble here is that /usr/bin/gtk-config belongs to
> 1.0.5, and setting GTK_CONFIG to point at the correct version would fix
> it, however I want to make sure I don't break anything, and a lot of
> packages depend on 1.0.5.  What are the ramifications of making the
> suggested modifications to GTK_CONFIG and LD_LIBRARY_PATH?
> Will this break depencies on 1.0.5, or is this safe?

you can do that, no problem.  GTK_CONFIG only affects compiling programs -
it won't affect existing binaries at all.

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux English / Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc. (http://www.turbolinux.com)

Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: Feb 13 (Sat), 12:30    ace: Temple Univ.