Re: tlug: Recovery Disk

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Rob Bickel wrote:

> with the the "Recovery Disk" system, I can only put the system back
> to it's original state (with one big partition for Windows).  Anyone
> have any ideas about how to get around this other than:

I used a computer that came with one of those, and it would reinstall
Windows 95 and the bundled apps into one big partition, destroying
everything that was there before.  There was no way around it if you used
that, but it did also come with a Windows 95 CD-ROM that could be used at
least for making updates to Windows 95.  I don't know if it would do an
actual install or not.

> 1.  Buying commerial disk partioning software

You'll run into the same problem.  The recovery disk will destroy whatever
the partitioning software has done, so if FIPS won't help ypu, neither
will things like Partition Magic.

> 2.  Buying a real copy of Windows 98.

A regular Windows 98 CD is what you will probably need to get this done,
I'm afraid.  The only other thing that *might* work would be to get an
install floppy for Win 98 (if such a thing exists) and feed it the
recovery disk and see if it can do a normal install off of that or not.

> 3.  Install only Linux and forget about Windows (although I would like to
>     this world still requires it)

I kind of like this option myself, and am quite happy that my work machine
only has Linux installed on it, but if you have to deal with MS Office
files and such, I guess you're stuck.

Jonathan Byrne                                   Engineering Division
Global Online Japan                              http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 03-5334-1700   Fax: +81-03-5334-1701   Direct: +81-03-5334-1756

Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD