Re: tlug: User names can begin with upper case?

Neil Booth wrote:

> I'm having problems with (what appears to be) user names beginning with
> an upper case character (e.g. "Neil"). Is this a limitation that I
> haven't seen documented?
>
> The problems are with mail programs, such as mail and Emacs mail. It
> appears that whatever they route their mail through cannot find users
> with an upper case initial character. I cannot find any docs on how they
> route their mail, but I assume it's sendmail.

If you are using sendmail then you should check the sendmail.cf file for
the proper M mail delivery agent command. From the 'Bat Book':

The username portion of the recipient's address is ordinarily converted
to lowercase before being tucked into $u ... some delivery agents
require the program (user) name to be left as is. Specifying the F=u
flag tells sendmail to not convert the name to lowercase.

Mprog, P=/bin/sh, F=lsDFMeuP, S-10, R=20, A=sh -c $u

HTH,

Jim S.
Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD