Re: tlug: (La)TeX, SGML, or ... ?

>>>>> "jb" == Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com> writes:

    jb> On Sat, 26 Dec 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
    >> "Editable graphically."  Arg.  Min.  I mean, sai-tei.
    >> Kudaranai.  Oh well, there goes the neighborhood, even
    >> Jonathan's succumbed.

    jb> I've actually always basically been a supporter of WYSIWYG
    jb> word processing.

You're kidding.  There's nothing more evil than tweaking "just one
header's format."  :-)

Now, when WYSIWYG makes writing DTDs-by-example easier than tweaking
locally, I'll support it.  Not until then!

    jb> I'll play withy LyX a bit over the winter holiday, and also
    jb> look into the SGML DTDs that were suggested.

Don't worry about the Japanese if you decide to go with LaTeX.  All
you do is get a copy of platex (probably in several multi-megabyte
RPMs :-).  The markup is identical, except that you probably want to
use the `j*' forms of the document classes (`jarticle' vs `article').
I think you can probably handle adding one character to the first line
;-)

    jb> TurboLinux-J has a Japanese TeX, but no mention is made of a
    jb> LaTeX-J.

Scott don't know squat about TeX, so it's not advertised properly.
Just do `rpm -U /path/to/RPMS/*tex*' :-)  You'll get about 95
packages, only 6 or 7 of which are TeX-related.  Don't worry about it,
the other 88 packages take up only 2.717% of the disk space....

    jb> And now to branch off on a tangent of sorts :-) The
    jb> introductory section in LyX says that "TeX" is pronounced to
    jb> rhyme with "blech."  Now, I pronounce "blech" with an unvoiced
    jb> velar fricative at the end (in more familiar terms, it would
    jb> sound like the final sound in "Bach" when pronounced by a
    jb> German speaker).

According to Don~Knuth in \emph{The \TeX{}Book}

\begin{quote}
    Insiders pronounce the \chi{} of \TeX{} as a Greek chi, not as an
    `x', so that \TeX{} rhymes with the word blecchhh.  It's the `ch'
    sound in Scottish words like \emph{loch} or Germen words like
    \emph{ach}' it's a Spanish `j' and a Russian `kh'.  When you say
    it correctly to your computer, the terminal may become slightly
    moist.
\end{quote}

Purists will note that the use of LaTeX markup is inappropriate due
to the lack of a \documentstyle{} command; to you purists I say

\begin{center}
    {\huge gettext(Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!)}
\end{center}

Hint: gettext() is not even TeX markup, which is only just punishment
for the puri(s)tanical.

Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD