tlug: Re: limiting mail size that is reveivable and deleting it from my mail server (fwd)

I seem to be missing part of this thread, but here goes on the
original.

    Eric> I asked a friend, but he couldn't help, anyone else able to
    Eric> help?  I don't want to have to blindly d/l 1.5 MB or more
    Eric> files from my ISP. so I want to tell sendmail not to accept
    Eric> them.

Are you connected 24/7 with a DNS MX record?  If not, you are
presumably using fetchmail or the like.  If you are connected 24/7,
you can use this method anyway, but you'll need to change all the MXs
to your ISP and set up a cron job to poll using fetchmail.

$ man fetchmail
[ ... ]
   Resource Limit Control Options
       -l, --limit
              (Keyword: limit) Takes a maximum octet  size  argu­
              ment.   Messages  larger than this size will not be
              fetched, not be marked seen, and will  be  left  on

If you want it sent to /dev/null, you'll need to do some more work on
the ISP side, because fetchmail will preserve it using this option.  I
think it is possible to use fetchmail to download everything you want,
then tell the remote host to delete everything, but that's risky if
mail arrives in the interim.  There may be other options to fetchmail
which better meet your needs.

Is procmail available at your ISP?

$ man procmail
[ ... ]
   Recipes
[ ... ]
       <    Check if the total length of the mail is shorter than
            the specified (in decimal) number of bytes.
       >    Analogous to '<'.

Ie

:0:
> 1500000
/dev/null

sends it to the bit-bucket on the host where procmail is running.
This is a _very expensive_ way to delete a message if your ISP won't
let you use procmail.

Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD