Re: tlug: ccp

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Chris> *smirk* I don't even trust binaries that _I_ put together
>     Chris> ;)
>
> Chris, I've built gcc half a dozen times, and every time I did it
> precisely by the numbers.
>
> I have no idea what I did, and I didn't understand the configure
> output.  I don't see why that is better than using a binary package
> that somebody else made.

the learning/character building comes when you build it and it DOESNT work
right.  ie, with egcs 1.1b, the egcs folks decided to stop defining things
like 'i386' and a couple others (I think that's the right symbol name...)
which some other programs really, really wanted, like the kernel (again I
don't remember things 100% today... sigh).

So I had to devise a patch for this (with Chris's help).  Also, mucking
about with the K6 optimizations patch for egcs taught me a lot as well.

However, it was obviously not enough to teach me that you need a C
compiler to build egcs :)

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD