Re: tlug: PC-NFS, samba?

On Sun, 13 Dec 1998, Jim Tittsler wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 12, 1998 at 11:54:37PM +0100, mike.fabian@example.com wrote:
> > is   it possible  to  mount  disks   of  Windows  NT  computers as NFS
> > filesystems  or  does one have to   use  samba to   access the Windows
> > computers?
>
> There are commercially available NFS packages for Windows machines.
>
> > With the smbclient program of the samba  package I can copy files from
> > and to a Windows  NT machine, but that is  by far not as convenient as
> > to a nfs mounted directory of another UNIX machine.
>
> Linux also supports a Samba filesystem, smbfs.  It will allow you to mount
> shared resources on your Linux box in a way that is similar to what you are
> used to with NFS.  I find this interoperability feature crucial to applying
> Linux in an office that contains mostly Windows systems.  It is mentioned
> in the /Documetation/filesystems/smbfs.txt file of the Linux sources.
> .. ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/smbfs/smbfs.tgz (for the utilities,
>      although they are probably packaged in your distribution already)
> .. http://samba.SerNet.DE/linux-lan/
>
> (The Samba project is planning to provide an equivalent facility in Samba
> 2.0 that is portable more Unixes beyond Linux. smbfs is not actually part
> of the Samba project.)

TL 3, which has Samba 2.0.0 in it, has this - it's called 'smbsh'.  It's
an overlay on top of your shell that lets you browse the local windows
network by going to /smb (aka kind of what amd does with /net, but not
quite the same).  Drawbacks are that it can take a long time for new
machines/shares to show up in /smb, but it does work.  just run 'smbsh'
and do it, no brain required, really :)

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD