RE: tlug: qpopper vs. tcpd

> If i look in the inetd.conf file for information on my POP server, it
tells
> me that something called "tcpd" is handling it.

Please see what is the program after tcpd in your ined.conf.
tcpd is access control program.
tcpd just check the access permission according to /etc/hosts.deny
/etc/hosts.allow, etc. Then tcpd will run the program specified
in inetd.conf.

> In all my wranglings with mail server software, i came to be more
familiar
> with qpopper and how it works. For a while i had qpopper installed, but
> it's gone back to this tcpd (came with Red Hat) because i felt i needed

If you perfer qpopper, you can just write qpopper after tcpd in inetd.conf.

You can find info on tcpd from man pages (man tcpd).

Yan @ Yokohama

Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691