wmppp [was tlug: Anti-spam]

Rex Walters wrote:

[something].

Hi Rex,

Remember we had that discussion about wmppp for Windowmaker? I think we
both had 2 problems: one that it didn't show the connect speed at
startup, and secondly that it showed "ERROR" when you logged off.

Well, I've been going through the morass of RH 5.1 scripts to work out
what's really going on when a PPP connection is made. I've just solved
the first one; I'll try and fix the second one soon. For me, there were
2 things preventing the display of connection speed.

1) The default RH 5.1 chat invocation does not use the "-r" option for
reporting, so I need to add

-r /etc/ppp/connect-errors

to the chat call, as this is the file that getmodemspeed.c looks in.

2) Secondly, what I think is a bug in their getmodemspeed.c

fd = popen("tac /etc/ppp/connect-errors | grep '['CONNECT'|'CARRIER']' |
head -1", "r");

should I think read

fd = popen("tac /etc/ppp/connect-errors | grep -E 'CONNECT|CARRIER' |
head -1", "r");

It then works for me. On the off-chance this is useful...

Neil.