tlug: Mail

I've been playing around a bit with "mail" recently, trying to get it to
work before I move on to other stuff.

I had noticed in the past that I could only send mail to "root", mail to
myself ("Neil" as login) would always fail with user unknown. After
trying for a while in vain, I would give up.

I tried again today, and I think I know the problem - mail seems to
lower-case the destination user, so sending mail to "Neil" actually
sends it to "neil", who doesn't exist. What surprised me was it worked
when I created a user called "neil".

Is there a way to turn off this lower-casing? Am I even remotely on the
right track? I'd like to keep my logins and not change them to lower
case.

What is it that is doing this? Sendmail, or mail?

Neil.

Pile up the benefits that accrue from studying
by the light of fireflies reflected on the snow...