Re: tlug: Linux on the Mac (PPC)

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Joseph D. Harvath wrote:

> We have an extra Mac in our office - Power Mac 7500/100.  Is putting Linux
> on this baby possible?  Which is a good distribution?

Have not yet got around to installing either (so I can't say what's good)
of the following yet, but will one day when I get a chance ......

LinuxPPC
http://www.linuxppc.org/

or

MkLinux
http://www.mklinux.apple.com/

Heaps of other options and links at
http://www.esperance.com/apple-flavored-unix/
http://www.eskimo.com/%7Epristine/unix.html
http://w3.one.net/%7Ebeef/Unix.html

Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com> wrote:

>I don't know if it's more trouble than it's worth or not, but Linux is
>generally the strongest and best supported on Intel hardware, since that's
>where it began.

Probably true.

> Unless I really wanted to run Linux on a Mac for some reason,

Like great performance.

> I might sell the Mac and use the proceeds to help pay for
> assembling an Intel box instead.

What slow him down with an Intel inside?

HTH,
tim :)