Re: tlug: Linux on the Mac (PPC)

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Joseph D. Harvath wrote:

> We have an extra Mac in our office - Power Mac 7500/100.  Is putting Linux
> on this baby possible?  Which is a good distribution?

I think so, but I don't promise :-)  I know some of the PPC Macs in the
Performa series don't work with Linux, but I think a regular one like yours
should be OK.  I can't make any strong recommendation for any distribution,
since I've never used Linux on a Mac, but one that you might want to check
into is TurboLinux PPC.  The web site is at <http://www.pht.com/>

I don't know if it's more trouble than it's worth or not, but Linux is
generally the strongest and best supported on Intel hardware, since that's
where it began.  Sparc and Alpha are probably in second place, and Linux on
Mac is somewhere back behind those.  Unless I really wanted to run Linux on a
Mac for some reason, I might sell the Mac and use the proceeds to help pay for
assembling an Intel box instead.

Jonathan