Re: tlug: Motherboard recommendations?

> I'm in the process of putting together my own box, and would like
> to know about good motherboards and also places that can ship to
> Japan (Well, inside Japan is ok as long as it's standard Linux-
> usable material that can run on 115v 60Hz).

I'm fond of the ASUS P2B if you're looking for a Pentium-II board.  Very
nice bios.  It does have on-board jumpers which is kind of passe, but
otherwise it's an excellent motherboard.  Somewhere around 20,000 yen I
believe.

> Also, this is the first time I've done this. Quick question: does
> the motherboard come with the connectors (mouse, keyboard, parallel,
> serial, etc) installed?

The kb & mouse connectors are attached to the motherboard.  Parallel and
serial (and IDE) are ribbon cable connectors on the board that you
connect to the external connectors (cables and connectors are usually
included with the motherboard.

Tom's Hardware Guide is a good resource for motherboard (and chipset)
comparisons if you haven't seen it:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/

Regards,
--