Re: PHDISK (was: Re: tlug: Sony VAIO & apm)

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Hernando TANAKA wrote:

> > PHDISK can create a hibernation file (save2dsk.bin) on a FAT
> > filesystem,
>
> Wow, I didn't know this!
> >From what version and where can I get it?

I don't know.  I think it's handled FAT16 for a while now.
At some point it could also do FAT32 (some point after
FAT32 was invented, of course).  But naturally, if the PHDISK
that came with your PC can't handle FAT32, then your BIOS
can't handle FAT32 either, and upgrading PHDISK won't help.

> # For some reasons, Pheonix doesn't supply this program
> # to users.  It's only available from some manufactures'
> # download site.  Why?

Different versions may not be compatible, plus the OEMs can
change the software too.  It has to match the BIOS.  And,
it's easy to loose data from your hard disk when you mess around
with partitions and such.

> > I think the partition type is 0x0A, and it may need to be a
> > primary partition (not one of the extended partitions).
>
> It also have to be at the last end cylinders, I think...(not sure)

I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

--
David Beutel         "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra
jdb@example.com     and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.