tlug: ISDN SUCCESS!

Savvy Listonians,

I think I stumbled onto the answer, and I'm quite embarrassed
to post this, but that's all part of participating in these public
forums then, isn't it?  :)

While reviewing some of my files in /etc/ppp tonight, I noticed to my
dismay that my pap-secrets file had two extraneous characters
on the last line of the file -- a line that by all rights should not
even have existed.  I *swear* I never saw those characters before,
and I've no idea how they got there, but there they were -- for
about a heartbeat.  I strongly suspect that this was the problem.
Then back to xisp, and the init string that Jonathan was so good
to get for me.  Gee!  A real, live persistent connection.  :)

Thanks to everyone who put up with the many messages, and
today's mild pique.  I'll post a short summary of how to do this
with NEC TAs under another thread -- for posterity.  I want to
test a couple of other init strings and dialing methods first,
however.

Thanks again,

Lance (who wonders how many other extraneous characters he's
got wandering around his system) <shakes head and mutters
something along the lines of shinji-fu&%ing-rarenai>