Re: tlug: How to install Linux (Part 1) ...

Thanks for the quick help!

The installation is finished, well, almost ... (cough, cough) there is a
little
problem ... it does not let me logg in with the password I think I gave
to root
... Since it is a password I use quite often in variations I don't
really think
I made a mistake, and I had to repeat it, but ...

What should I do? Install everything again? At least I now know what to
do.

Except, I think there were some problems with giving the correct ranges
for the
Monitor, I pressed "cancel" but the machine just went on.

The following information I found in this setup-information or how you
call it, if you press F1 or something before Windows is loaded, and
there was written:

allowable ranges for horizontal and vertical refresh rates:

Monitor Setup				Set Frequency
  Monitor Horizontal Frequency	49.0 - 59.9 KHz

Refresh Rates
  640x480 Resolution			85 Hz
  800x600 Resolution			85 Hz
  1024x768 Resolution			70 Hz
  1280x1024 Resolution			87 Hz interlaced
  1600x1200 Resolution			Not Supported

Consultation with my friend resutet in recommendations for
horizontal:	Monitor Horizontal Frequency	49.0 - 59.9 KHz
vertikal:	800x600 Resolution			85 Hz

But somehow there was little matching with the numbers given under the
respective categories. I tried to cancel, but this did not work as I
expected ... Which numbers should I feed the machine the next time?

>  > I want to install Red Hat 5.0 with a CD on a Japanese Aptiva.
>
> I'd suggest 5.1. 5.0 was ... hmm, perhaps "factory second" would be a
> good way to put it.

Someone else suggested TurboLinux, especially the new release. I will
practice
installing and check what these different "sects" in the Linux-world
have to
offer before I choose my faith ... RedHat was available because of
convictions
in my nearer environment.

Uli
Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)