Re: tlug: Flightgear: open-source GPL flight simulator

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Marcus Metzler wrote:

> Scott Stone writes:
>  > On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Marcus Metzler wrote:
>  > > Not that I have that much time to play games, but when there is time
>  > > I have to shut down Linux and boot that other OS.
>  >
>  > well, the Riva128/TNT still remains one of the fastest, if not the
>  > fastest, 2D cards around as well.  If I got a Voodoo 2, I'd keep the Riva
>  > for 2D stuff.  That can be done, according to the riva's documentation.
>  >
> That`s true. The TNT is for some applications(games) even faster than
> a Voodoo2. I also have a Riva128 and am planning to get a
> Voodoo2. Using both in the same system is no problem you just can`t
> use the Riva`s 3D acceleration stuff with Linux. Otherwise the Voodoo2
> may not even be necessary :). On the other hand there is a new 2D/3D
> chip from 3dfx the Banshee which includes most of the Voodoo2 features
> and is also fast in 2D. The guy who writes the glide drivers for Linux
> is going to write a X11 driver for the banshee. It may be an
> alternative to that combination above, although I heard that the TNT
> is faster in 3D.

Yeah.. how much are those Voodoo-2 cards selling for now?  I feel the need
to have 3D under Linux, all of a sudden.

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)