Re: tlug: Flightgear: open-source GPL flight simulator

Scott Stone writes:
 > On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Marcus Metzler wrote:
 > > Not that I have that much time to play games, but when there is time
 > > I have to shut down Linux and boot that other OS.
 >
 > well, the Riva128/TNT still remains one of the fastest, if not the
 > fastest, 2D cards around as well.  If I got a Voodoo 2, I'd keep the Riva
 > for 2D stuff.  That can be done, according to the riva's documentation.

That`s true. The TNT is for some applications(games) even faster than
a Voodoo2. I also have a Riva128 and am planning to get a
Voodoo2. Using both in the same system is no problem you just can`t
use the Riva`s 3D acceleration stuff with Linux. Otherwise the Voodoo2
may not even be necessary :). On the other hand there is a new 2D/3D
chip from 3dfx the Banshee which includes most of the Voodoo2 features
and is also fast in 2D. The guy who writes the glide drivers for Linux
is going to write a X11 driver for the banshee. It may be an
alternative to that combination above, although I heard that the TNT
is faster in 3D.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
Department of Physics    | $B")(B $B#2#7#4!<#8#5#1#0(B
Toho University          | $B@example.com)A%66;T;0;3#2!<#2!<#1(B
Miyama 2-2-1, Funabashi, | $BElK.Bg3X(B  $BM}3XIt(B  $BJ*M}(B
Chiba 274-8510           |
Japan			 |
e-mail : mocm@example.com