Re: tlug: Mounting my cdrom's

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 masatomo@example.com wrote:

> Hello, everybody.
> Scott wrote:
> > You don'ot have to do the 'insmod', you just say 'modprobe isofs'.
> >
> > And it's supposed to load that module automatically when you request to
> > use the filesystem.  if not, something's wrong with the module
> > dependencies file (try 'depmod -a'), or kerneld is not running.
>  I did some research with Redhat5.1 (Usually I use this machine with
> Stampede-0.86. So I don't need to bother with Redhat5.1 problem.)
>
> #depmod -a
> can't open /lib/modules/2.0.34/modules.dep
>
> Actually modules.dep exists at
> /lib/modules/2.0.34-0.6

This is because RH did something boneheaded with their new kernel spec in
2.0.34, IMHO.  I like most of it, but this is idiotic.  TL's kernel specs
make a symlink so that:

/lib/modules/2.0.35 -> /lib/modules/2.0.35-14TL

this way stuff still works, and it maintains compatibility with RH kernel
packages, which some customers say they want...

Incidentally, a freshly installed TL system, any version, will let you
mount /mnt/cdrom correctly, assuming that you installed from a CD.

> #uname -a
> Linux baystars.saitama.co.jp 2.0.34 #1 Fri May 8 16:05:57 EDT 1998 i686 unknown
>
>  Redhat5.1 is using a pre-version of <2.0.34>. Booting code is
> </boot/vmlinuz-2.0.34-0.6>

yeah, at the time RH 5.1 came out, I was just finalizing TL 2.0 - I
decided to stick with .33 at the time since .34 wasn't considered
all-that-stable by the people who know... now we've got  .35, which seems
to work well.

BTW, you named your machine after the Yokohama baseball team? :)  I saw
them playing in the Japan Series in a restaurant the other night on TV.

> Finally I learned why novices with Redhat5.1 complain that the can't mount
> CDs.
>
> Cheers,
> Masa Uc^ida Masatomo,Hidaka,Saitama,Japanio
>
> <http://www1.nisiq.net/~masatomo>
> <http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/linux>
> Next Nomikai: 20 November, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)