Re: tlug: netrek

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> >Does anyone play netrek anymore?  I just recompiled the paradise client
> >for glibc (I'm cleaning out all the libc5 packages in TL and rebuildling
> >with glibc), and I tested the sucker.. there's nobody playing this thing
> >anywhere, but the metaserver is still up.  Anyone interested?  tlug netrek
> >server, anyone? :)
>
> I've heard of netrek, though i've never played before. Sounds kind of cool.
> I'm in for trying it out, so let me know where to get the software I need,
> and i'll try and set it up on my system.

TurboLinux is committed to servicing the Netrek Players Of The World -
that's why every version of TurboLinux has included a version of the
Paradise netrek client.  The one in 3.0 actually works properly with GLIBC
and GLIBC-based X libraries (I'm pretty sure the 2.0 one works, too).  The
netrek server code is out there for d/l, too, but there do appear to be a
few netrek servers already running in cyberland that we can connect to.

xfirepower is another neat online-type game, which does NOT have any
default servers anymore, but the RPM of this one comes with xfireserv so
you can roll your own server pretty quickly.  Comes with maps and all.

These are both Linux ports of older Unix/X11 software from Solaris/etc, so
none of it looks especially good or runs especially efficiently, but it
does run.  Even more surprisingly, is that porting them from libc4/a.out
to libc6/ELF just required a new 'make'.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)