Re: tlug: kanji or romaji for Japanese? (was: parallel-port IDE)

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:

 >     Kei> I think Japanese as spoken language is like English without
 >     Kei> using articles or pronouns. It may work, but accidents
 >     Kei> happen.
 >
 > All languages have ambiguities.  Even programming languages are not
 > immune: according to Watts Humphrey, something like 10% of syntax
 > errors in programs are not caught by the compiler.  (He mostly was
 > discussing PL/I and Pascal.)

Although I didn't tell explicitly, my statement is under the
condition the subject title imposes. You can't relax that. Otherwise
you might as well have concluded it is ok to romanize Japanese.

 > Japanese can be spoken (and written) in a precise way, and it's not
 > necessarily even that ugly (thus I am told; I have no expertise to
 > justify expressing my own opinion in this matter).  But Japanese don't
 > like to hear it (again, thus I am told).  It's too "ritsukuppoi"

It should be "rikutsuppoi" = "理屈っぽい". I also noticed you used
"rashii" and "poi" indistinguishly.

 LongTimeAgo> Debian also is SysV-rashii

"Poi" is more apt for ish than "rashii" has not so complimentary
meaning. So translation should be "logic-damnit-choppingish".
But,   I compliment you. The university should be the last place that
rationality is condemned.

 > (logic-chopping).  Many of my colleagues prefer writing in English
 > because they needn't deal with this burden.
 >
 > As for ambiguous English:  check out Bill Clinton's testimony.

He is smart and can see trapping so he uses some terms vaguely. That
is all. He doesn't use the term like "omniscience omnipotence" like
Mr. O. at the inaugural speech.

 > And there are many Japanese constructs and words I miss in English:
 > "deshou" first and foremost, but "yahari" and "sasuga" would be
 > useful; and some more subtle things like "joushiki," which is most
 > accurately translated as "conventional wisdom" most of the time, but
 > the English version is normally considered an oxymoron (in America,
 > anyway).  Sometimes I'd like a word that's more approving (eg, what is
 > avoiding NIH syndrome but submitting to joushiki?).  So Japanese can
 > (at least sometimes) be more accurate than English.

There are core words and borrowed words in the language. Core word is
something that takes more length in explaining the meaning in the
dictionary and borrowed words less length. In the dictionary, the
words are explained by other words. You can learn networks among
words. But, nothing else.  People new to the language are attracted to
core words. Because that is easy path to learn. But, you need to pass
the phase to appreciate more. You should start reading more materials
as you did in your adolescence. Or soon when your daughter grows up and
challenges you, you have noghing to offer besides mumbo jumbo about computer.

And I was talking about borrowed words.

 > --
 > University of Tsukuba                Tennodai 1-1-1 Tsukuba 305-8573 JAPAN
 > Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091

The country number for Japan is 81. The number has to be
81(298) 53-5091 or (0298) 53-5091

Regards,
Kei.