Re: tlug: Quick mule question

    Jonathan> On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
    >> Kinput2*ConversionStartKeys: \ Ctrl<Key>Kanji
    >>
    >> to .Xresources or .Xdefaults (whichever you have), then do
    >> `xrdb < .Xresources'.  But this means no other application can
    >> use shift-space

    Jonathan> I just did this, (in my .Xdefaults) and now ctrl-kanji

Oops, you also need to restart kinput2.  I may also have spelled that
resource wrong, maybe it should be KInput2*ConversionStartKeys, or you
could try simply *ConversionStartKeys.

    Jonathan> starts input but won't turn it off.  Shift-space and
    Jonathan> ctrl-space will both turn it off.  Moreover, shift-space

Is this in a kterm?  I now seem to recall you need to _also_ fix
kterm's resources, but now I forget how to do it (setting a
translation is easy, removing one may be as easy as setting to null,
but...).  Try the following:

    KTerm*VT100.Translations: #override Shift<Key>Space:

do the xrdb thing, and restart kterm.

Assuming it's mule in its own X frame....  Arrgh.  !@#$% mule.  I
despise the Lisp code used to support Japanese.  It's been kludgy,
crocky, and a complete pile of s**t[1] for as long as I've been using
nemacs and mule.  That said, I don't think it's mule itself, but it
could be.

Try C-h k C-SPC and C-h k Shift-SPC to see if those are bound to Emacs
functions.  In my XEmacs they're bound to `canna-set-mark-command' and
`canna-henkan-region-or-self-insert' respectively (in fact, Shift-SPC
is interpreted as SPC).  I'm not using kinput2 at the moment (it
interferes with some stuff I'm working on for edict.el), though, so I
can't check here.

As far as I can tell the conversion termination keys are determined by
the server.  Kinput2 doesn't seem to define a resource for that,
anyway.  For Canna, I dunno how to change this.  The docs are
incomplete (surprisingly, for Debian) and unclear....

    Jonathan> will still start Japanese input.  What would I need to
    Jonathan> do to get on and off both working on the same
    Jonathan> combination of key strokes and only that combination?

Footnotes:
[1]  That's pronounced "incestuous spaghetti" in case you weren't
aware.  Don't worry about the character count, they're all silent.
The Lisp code for Japanese support winds around like an Ouroboros in
hyperspace and makes Escher look like a perfectly sane individual.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091