Re: tlug: kanji or romaji for Japanese? (was: parallel-port IDE)

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Scott> On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>     >> >>>>> "Scott" == Scott Stone <sstone@example.com> writes:
>
>     Scott> no, no, we want to SIMPLIFY the human - machine interface,
>     Scott> not make it more complex.  a 4-byte system would definitely
>     Scott> be a step in the wrong direction, IMHO.
>
>     >> Um, Scott, it's a step in the RIGHT direction.  There would be
>     >> no such thing as a `char' anymore; just `int's.
>
>     Scott> wasteful.  Besides, if you start THIS trend, eventually I'm
>     Scott> going to have to declare strings as 'long double *string'
>     Scott> :) 'int *string' is bad enough..
>
> Eh, say what?!  Think more deeply before you reply, you're wrong on
> both counts....

both counts of what?  Maybe we're misunderstanding each other here... but
if you had 4-byte characters, then a string, normally declared in C as
'char *string' (an oversimplification of course), would become 'int
*string', at least on x86 machines (I believe that 'int' is not 4 bytes on
all architectures, right?)  The 'long double' thing was intended as a
Humorous Exaggeration.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)