tlug: gcc problem? (newby question)

Hi,

I've been messing around with linux (Slackware 3.5) for a month or two and
I've just run into a problem which I'm not sure where to begin fixing.

When running the configure script for PHP the following error occurs:

checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.

I recently installed (successfully) PJE and I have a vague suspicion that
that's the point at which things went wonky, because the PJE install
included an update of libc5-somethingorother. Prior to that I did installs
of apache, mySQL, etc. with no problems.

Can anyone give me a pointer or two as to where to begin solving this one?
Do I need to re-install gcc? (Yikes!) Or is there an easy fix?

TIA
Dave