Re: tlug: kanji or romaji for Japanese? (was: parallel-port IDE)

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

> xemacs-mule does this now, without 4-byte.  explain that, if you dare.

The one I have only has support for 22 different language encodings on it's
"Set Language Environment" menu, including several different variations on
Latin.  So my preliminary explanation at this point is "No it doesn't.
Nyaanyaanyaanyaanyaa!" :-)  To do so would require it to understand every
encoding method extent today.  Does it?

Assuming it does, then you could conceivably display all of the national
character sets and encoding methods on a page at once.  But you could hardly
claim that this was simpler than a single encoding that contained all
characters that have ever existed in any language that we have records of,
plus leaving lots of room for new ones yet to be devised.  The situation
today, with all kinds of different national character sets, is a mess.
Unfortunately, it's a mess that will be extremely difficult to clean up.
Even getting everybody to agree that it should be cleaned up will be
extremely difficult.  Look at how unpopular Unicode is in at least some
Japanese circles.

Jonathan