Re: tlug: kanji or romaji for Japanese? (was: parallel-port IDE)

I'm not a linguist, but I think we're looking at different tings in teh
languages diverging/converging.

Among disparate communities languages diverge, however withing a
community the language converges/maintains a common level.

What is really happening is that the size and type of communities are
changing throughout the world.

The language extinctions are from small populations that are not
self-sufficent in the global nature of todays world.  Therefore inteh
community they find themselves, they speak the dominant language.

There are definitely effects from Technology slowing Language change
within a community,  But the change is not stopped.  We can all
understand Rebroadcasts from 50 or 60 years ago, but they don't sound
normal anymore, the language has evolved.

The English of someone who speaks with a group of people from various
places is a far cry from the Enlighs of someone who has never spoken
with someone from further than the next village.  Even if they grew up
in the same place.

Our language communities are changin.  They are no longer strictly
geographically dependant, but have stronger ties to jobs, and behaviour
patterns.

Everyone on this list has probably been accused of talking to much tech
stuff.  There is a different vocabulary used by people who do a lot
with computers than those who don't.  window, text, jump, log, all have
differnt meanings.  Is this turly a seperate dialect?

Not yet, but it could become one.

-Scott

Scott Stone did state upon Mon, Oct 19, 1998 at 06:27:24PM +0900:

--
Beware hot fudge sundae!                |  perlman@example.com
Especially when it comes on Tuesdae.	|  Scott Perlman