Re: tlug: kanji or romaji for Japanese? (was: parallel-port IDE)

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Karl-Max Wagner wrote:

> That's what I do mainly. In the Internet the decision has
> already been taken: English rules. Whoever THINKS of setting up
> a website these days in another language than English ( apart
> from some cases with strictly local content that's not

My, what a sheltered world you live in.  Most of the web sites in Japan,
regardless of content, are in Japanese, and Japanese only.   My (admittedly
limited) experience with web sites in Chinese-speaking countries indicates a
similar pattern.   There are apparently quite a few French web sites [1]
that are either bilingual or in French only.  I have also encountered ones
in various other languages, so while English is and will remain for a
long time the most common language on the Internet, I think you overstate
the case.  Moreover, as Internet access becomes more and more common outside
of North America and Europe, the percentage of English web sites is likely
to drop, not rise.  Why do you think HTML 4.0 contains so much more language
support than previous versions?

Jonathan