Re: tlug: Re: multi-processor linux configuration ?

Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote,

> >> You may want to consider which Linux system to use based upon the
> >> compiler. TurboLinux 2.0 uses gcc. TurboLinux 3.0 will use egcs, which
> >> handles C++ better and delivers faster code by as much as 25%.
> >
> >C/C++ do not parallelize very well.  If they're really serious about
> >parallel programming on linux, they'd be better off doing their work in
> >fortran (which parallelizes very well) and purchasing a decent compiler
> >like PGI (which pretty much automagically groks MPI).
>
> Do you have any more information on this?
>
> I'd have thought the problem was with applications that parallelize well
> and those that don't, and the language is of secondary importance.

It is a kind of two step problem.  If you application (or
the algorithms you employ) do not parallelize, you lose
anyway.  If they parallelize, you have to find a viable
implementation platform aka language or library (which may
be different depending on the problem, ie, it is a
fine-grained or coarse-grained problem etc).

A nice introduction is contained in

  http://www.mcs.anl.gov/dbpp/

Manuel