Re: tlug: CDROM mount problem

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> Ever since I put in my new IDE drive, attempting to mount the CDROM
> drive gets me this message:
>
> /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
>
> I have the new disk alone as the master on IDE header 0.  I have the CDROM
> drive and the old disk on IDE  header 1.  I have tried reversing which is
> master and which is slave, but it made no difference.  The disk drive
> works correctly as either master or slave, but the CDROM drive cannot be
> mounted in either case.  I've tried it with both commercial and CD-R media
> with no success.  Is there anything obviously wrong with this fstab that I
> ought to be noticing:
>
> /dev/hda1               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> /dev/hda2               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
> /dev/hda5               /var                    ext2    defaults        1 2
> /dev/hda6               /tmp                    ext2    defaults        1 2
> /dev/hda7               /home                   ext2    defaults        1 2
> /dev/hda8               /usr                    ext2    defaults        1 2
> /dev/hda9               /usr/local              ext2    defaults        1 2
> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             vfat    noauto,user     0 0
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,ro,user  0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
>
> It worked fine with the exact same settings before I added the new disk to
> the system, so why it doesn't work now kind of has me puzzled.

/dev/cdrom is a symbolic link to one of your IDE devices, ie, /dev/hdc,
/dev/hdd, or whatever.  Make sure that it's correct.  Also make sure that
the master/slave jumper on the CD drive is set correctly and that the
cable is connected with the red stripe on pin 1, usually facing the power
connector.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)