Re: tlug: The meeting...

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, J. Sean Bennett wrote:

> Jim Schweizer wrote:
>
> >Sounds like there was another successful meeting - wish I could have >been
> there.
>
> Me too!  I almost made it this time too... if it wasn't for the
> incompatabilities of Friday night nomikais and Sat. morning shinkansens...
>
> If Jim and/or Urs had and text files/notes they had prepared for the
> meeting, would it be possible to get a copy posted to the group or emailed
> (bandwidth allowing :-)  I'd be interested in hearing/reading about what was
> covered re: Jim's Netwinder, VNC, and IPv6.

VNC was really cool.  I thought so, at least.  The netwinder, well...
Corel should have ironed it out a bit before releasing it.  I don't see
how it's in any way better than the average notebook machine as far as
small size and features go, and there are other 'small' computers out
there that don't use a proprietary architecture (ie, they use x86, so you
can use x86 Linux with them, no problems).  As Jim said at the meeting,
it's kind of a technology-looking-for-a-market problem.

> It sounds like I missed a great auction too.  I read on the TPC group that
> not all of the equipment made it out the door;  Were/are there any 72pin
> 70ns ram, modems, and or hard disks left over??  I'm still working on
> getting my 486 linux box up and running.  It's a 100/DX-4; I tried it with
> 60ns ram (from a pentium system), but it wouldn't boot - just a series of
> beeps; could it be that the ram is too fast, a parity/nonparity thing, or is
> memory not likely my problem?? Any tips welcome :-)

How many beeps?

Usually any memory that will work in a pentium will work in a 486 -
although 70ns is pretty slow by anyone's standards these days.  If there's
no video card, though, you'll get two beeps, a pause, and then three more
(on many motherboards).  Usually if it's a RAM problem it makes long slow
beeps...

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)