tlug: October 10th Meeting Summary

I'd like to thank everyone for coming out and supporting linux at the
October 10th meeting!   We had a good turnout to help set up starting
at 10:00, and over 50 people came to the meeting overall.  The
nijikai was another success as well - it was fun to see PC's and
monitors from the auction lining the walls of Tengu :-)

Thanks again to our speakers:

 -  IPv6 at IMASY by Ichiro Fukuhara and Hajimu Umemoto

    An in-depth look at how IPv6 testing is progressing at leading
    Japanese organizations in co-ordination with IMASY.  Although
    most of their work is being done with FreeBSD, they are working
    towards including more Linux interfacing.  One thing this talk
    really showed me was that there is a lot of commonality between
    the FreeBSD group and Linux groups, and a lot of opportunity to
    work together.

 -  Corel Netwinder Computer by Jim Tittsler

    This is one tight package!  A 275MHz screamer built into the size
    of a small router, the Corel Netwinder is a neat system to play
    with, and could offer commercial customers a solution for small
    spaces.

 -  VNC by Urs Roesch

    VNC lets you have an Xwindow of one computer running Linux, MS,
    or Solaris on another box.  This is a really good way of having
    MS apps ready to use on your Linux box without having to switch
    monitors.

Tlug CDROM's:
    Rex Walters has volunteered to co-ordinate the Tlug CDROM circle
    to produce CD's for the group.  If you are interested in helping out
    by burning CD's or collecting useful programs, please get in contact
    with Rex (rex@example.com).   At present, we have:

    01:  Netscape 4.05, 4.06, 4.07
    02:  Mozilla source, Netscape 4.5b1, 4.5b2
    03:  Tlug Archives, VNC, Xcdroast, Alien, Monash, .....
    04:  Updates 1:  Caldera, Debian, Slackware, Suse, Turbolinux
    05:  Updates 2:  RedHat 5.0, 5.1

    #03 was especially popular, and sold out of it's first run at the
    meeting.

Auction:

    This month's auction proved to be the most successful yet!  The
    totals aren't in yet, but it looks like the proceeds will be
    the highest so far.   Thanks to Jim Tittlser for being our
    auctioneer!

Elections:

    We had two volunteers to join the Tlug executive as technical
    directors, Rex Walters and Kenichi Itsumi, who were elected by
    acclamation.  Thanks for volunteering!

Cheers,

-Joe.

Joe Marchak joem@example.com ph:03-5203-3925 fx:03-5203-3699 ldist: s/03/813/