Re: tlug: List of meta's for different languages

Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> wrote:

>>   However, many other apps will not recognize the shift-jis tag
>> (for one thing, unlike pretty much everything else, the official IANA
>> tag for shift-JIS is shift_jis, using an underscore).  ISO-2022
>> conforming sets with registered final bytes should be pretty safe;
>> that means that the EUC variants (charset=euc-jp, for example) are
>> possibly a good choice.  However, early patchlevels of Netscrap 3 may
>> have only recognized x-euc-jp, not euc-jp.  (I think Jim Breen tested
>> several versions of Netscrap and MSIE and all recognized euc-jp,

I only tested the later versions for "charset=euc-jp"., and they seemed
fine. There have been no squeaks from the people pounding away at
WWWJDIC, so I have to assume it's OK.

>> though.)  euc-kr for Korean should be safe, but I don't recall the
>> right tags for Chinese (there being two conflicting standards, CNS and
>> GB).

I think you're right about Big5 over CNS.

BTW, for those out there running Nutscrape under Whinedoze, Hongbo Ni
has released  beta of an expansion of NJWIN called "NJWIN Communicator"
which has an IM as well a trap_and_display for CJK characters.
Apparently at present it's only a Chinese IM, but presumably the Japanese
IM from NJSTAR will be there too. It's been a pain having a free IM
available for MSIE but not for Nutscrape.

Jim

--
Jim Breen        School of Computer Science & Software Engineering
Email: j.breen@example.com                Monash University