Re: tlug: List of meta's for different languages

From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: List of meta's for different languages
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 11:32:59 +0900 (JST)

turnbull> >>>>> "Craig" == Craig Toshio Oda <craigoda@example.com> writes:
turnbull>
turnbull>     Craig> From: Darren Cook <darren@example.com>
turnbull>
turnbull>     darren> Has anyone seen a list of what the meta tags should be for
turnbull>     darren> each language (Japanese, Chinese, etc)? Actually more than
turnbull>     darren> a standard, I'm looking for a guide for what to use so
turnbull>     darren> that it will be recognized by both Explorer and Netscape,
turnbull>     darren> and both versions 3 and 4.
turnbull>
turnbull>     Craig> Use of characters sets is specified in the HTML4.0
turnbull>     Craig> specification.  The section you want is
turnbull>     Craig> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/charset.html#encodings
turnbull>
turnbull> This is exactly what he doesn't want, I think.  He wants to know what
turnbull> will work with real implementations, as opposed to conformant
turnbull> implementations.  Netscape and MSIE have historically been extremely
turnbull> keen to avoid conformance....

Ahhhgg.. This kind of thing makes me sad.  The HTML4.0 specification
was pretty clear about what the character specifications should be
and there was a link to the list of acceptable encoding.  It would
be a much easier world if everyone used the same standard.  Still,
don't you think that the standards will move become more popular since
the specification from the W3 Consortium is so influential?  hopefully.

turnbull> (1) Nonetheless, I strongly recommend that you choose from the IANA
turnbull> list.  (Debian users can get a fairly recent IANA list from the
turnbull> doc-rfc package.  doc-rfc contains the most useful RFCs as well, such

Hey, I didn't know about that Debian package.  I was going out on the Internet
all the time I needed the RFCs and was establishing a cache on my hard disk.
This is nice to have it in package format.  Keep feeding me information like
this.  I'm downloading it now.

Regards,
Craig