Re: tlug: Problems with my harddisk

Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:
> I am having considerable trouble with my IDE harddisk.
> Within the last weeks it stopped operating about four times.
I too have flaky hard drives, but as it's my PC, and I use them only
for backed up files / tmp space, it's livable.

> The disk is a Quantum 3.8GB IDE drive.  Now, my first
> question, is it possible that the drive switches itself off
> when it gets too hot?
Hmm.  While they don't have internal thermostats (some new
high-end SCSI drives do), it is possible that the heat causes
XXX
which throws the drive into a panic mode (i.e. shutdown as safely as
possible.)  My flaky drives seem to work only at a little below room
temperature, but they haven't died yet, with the only data corruption
due to them stopping while my machine was busy.  It's been nearly 3
months, so I hope they'll keep working for a while.  However, as
your data is important, it's a different case.  Is the drive well
cooled, aside from the missing air-conditioner?  (I.e. Is there good
airflow through the case, and is it exposed to the airflow and not
stuck tightly between a CD-Rom and a zip drive.)  If not, move it so
it and see if the problem disappears.  If so, I'd recommend getting a
new drive.  You don't want to take chances.  Now that I think about it,
I think Quantum uses foam sound insulation under their IC card, which
would cause heat problems, so be sure to check & try to keep it cool.

>Second, are their any recommendations for good
> *reliable* IDE harddisks? (I don't mind if it is a bit more
> expensive as long as it is reliable.)
Well, if you're REALLY worried (I doubt it because you make backups,
right?) get a mid to high end SCSI drive.  They are built to be more
reliable.  However, if you really want a recommendation, I can't
resist giving a plug for IBM, where I worked a year ago.  While I'm
not definite about their IDE drives, I assume they inheirit much from
their ultra safe SCSI drives.  And hey, they're HUGE. (16gig IDE)

later,
Howard