Re: tlug: Problems with my harddisk

> The disk is a Quantum 3.8GB IDE drive.  Now, my first
> question, is it possible that the drive switches itself off
> when it gets too hot? (We have centrally regulated

Yes.

> air-conditioning here, which is switched off since the
> beginning of this month -- all failures were in this
> period.)  Second, are their any recommendations for good
> *reliable* IDE harddisks? (I don't mind if it is a bit more
> expensive as long as it is reliable.)

No harddisk is reliable if it's sizzling. If that is your
problem, add a blower specifically to get your HDD cooled. Big
temp gradients are a BIG problem in HDD's because they lead to
mechanical deformation and it goes without saying what that
means with today's data densities.....

"It was hell. They knew it.          Karl-Max Wagner
  But they called it                 karlmax@example.com
    W-I-N-D-O-Z-E"