Re: tlug: Problems with my harddisk

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:

>I am having considerable trouble with my IDE harddisk.
>Within the last weeks it stopped operating about four times.

I think I'd be putting in a new disk about now, and backing that thing up
religiously until I got the new disk installed.

>period.)  Second, are their any recommendations for good
>*reliable* IDE harddisks? (I don't mind if it is a bit more
>expensive as long as it is reliable.)

I have a Quantum 3.2 that has been in continuous operation in a non-air
conditioned environment since January, with no problems at all.  I consider it
to be a good, reliable disk.  There is, of course, no such thing as a disk
that cannot fail.  To that extent it's a crap shoot what you buy.

My computer at work has a 2.1 GB Quantum (a Fireball, as is the one in my home
machine) that has been in continous operation for about 1.5 years.

My other disk is a three-year old Western Digital Caviar 1.2 GB that has also
been in continous operation for most of that time.  It's also good and
reliable, although some people have told me that current WD drives are not as
good as they were when mine was new.

IBM drives are also supposed to be pretty good.  They're certainly big and
fast.

Cheers,

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section