Re: tlug: Mew on (X)Emacs the way to go?

From: Howard Abbey <habbey@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: Mew on (X)Emacs the way to go?
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 14:45:45 +0900

habbey> How about other mail progs?  How much did I miss by learning elm, then
habbey> mutt, instead of PINE?

Hi,
mutt is pretty good.  It is small, lightweight, fast, and powerful.  Mutt
with patches had good support of Japanese.  I'm not sure if you still
need to patch it.  I used Pine for many years, mainly versions 3.95, 3.96.
Pine is on version 4.0 now and has one new feature I really wanted in
3.96, the ability to access address books with IMAP. I now use Mew
because I fell in love with Emacs after a three year battle with learning
Emacs. Emacs is more than an editor; it is a religion.  After 5 years, I'm
still learning Emacs.

Pine is easy to learn due to the menu systems.  It is also easy to
configure because you can adjust the .pinerc file from a menu-based
system.  The editor, pico, is okay.  You can set default alternate editors
like vi or emacs.  The big feature of Pine for advanced users is the IMAP
support.  Unlike the partial IMAP support in fetchmail, the IMAP support
in Pine allows you to sort and manipulate mail folders on a remote server.
So, you can use procmail on your ISP to filter megs of mail and keep the
mail on the ISP for years if you want to.  Then, you can access the
mail from anywhere in the world.  This gets very convenient if you have
a Pine at your Linux workstation in the office, a Pine on your Linux
workstation at home, and a Pine on a Linux laptop you take on business
trips. They all access the same mail folders on your ISP.  Then, when you
are visiting your parents who use Windows, you can telnet into your ISP's
server and access Pine through a telnet session.  You have the same
folders.  With Pine version 4.0, you can access the same address books.

I'm on an eternal quest for the best mail reader.  I think it is a matter
of personal taste.  For me, it comes down to the editor.

Regards,
Craig