Re: tlug: Mew on (X)Emacs the way to go?

Hello,

I use it with FSF Emacs 20.3, procmail,
fetchmail, prom-mew, and edict.el.  fetchmail will get the mail with
POP and can act as a daemon to get the mail every x minutes.  Default
is 5 minutes.  Procmail does all the filtering.  It is good.  prom-mew
is a seperate elisp package that allows Mew to use procmail.  I don't
normally use the feature to click on the URL with the middle mouse button.
However, I think you can do it somehow.  If you select it, then press
C-o in W3, it will automatically jump to it.

washi> -- multiple, visible signatures

I don't use this feature either.  I'm not sure if it can do it.  I
guess you're referring to your own signature?

washi> -- template support

Not sure about this one either.

washi> -- threaded views

Can sort by subject, which is the equivalent of threading.  Also, there
are different configuration settings to allow different threading
styles which I don't know.

washi> -- simple configuration

There is a pretty steep learning curve.  There are many programs that
work together.  Configuration is probably far more difficult than what
you would be used to on Windows.  In return, you get a rock solid
system with very stable Japanese support.

The MIME Header decoding of Mew is nice.  Japanese support is robust.
You can integrate it with edict.el to allow easy translation of
kanji into English or kana.  Also, English to Japanese works.   It also
integrates PGP into it.  Some other programs on Windows may be easier
to use with more advanced features.  However, I think that the Japanese
support of Mew is probably better than most of the programs.

Another really big plus for Mew is that it runs inside of Emacs.  This is
a big plus if you learn Emacs and like it.  If you like vi, you might
like mutt.  If you don't like Emacs, you're probably better off using
something else.

-- Craig